Friday, May 25, 2007

Got coffee?



*Yawn*
It's 230 in the freaking morning and I woke up itching, all thanks to the bugs coming in through the window screen. HOT. That's what I love about this town in the summer time. INTENSE heat. Blood sucking bugs. Ice cream. Swimming. Trains.

Trains?

Horns blaring again and I click over to The Bakersfield Californian to read up on the latest news. Another article abt the Train problem that we've been having.

Obnoxious train noises are here to stay
Some people don't appreciate loud train noises.

You know, the ones the trains blow to warn people they are coming.

A meeting was held Thursday on whether there are more quiet, gentler train noises. And would they work.

Yes there are alternatives, but they are expensive and might expose the city to even more expensive lawsuits in case someone gets whacked because they didn't hear them.

I'm guessing people who complain live near railroad crossings. They might have wanted to check that out before they moved there.

Here's my take on all this. Of all the things the city has to worry about, this shouldn't be one of them.

Reasonable people want trains to make loud noises. So people can hear them!

Feel free to comment your opinion of train noises.

And how about those airplane noises? And speedway noises? And crybabies (I don't know how that popped into my head).
My response?

For 30 plus years, I've lived close enough to the tracks and the noise never, and I mean NEVER bothered me until laws changed and I moved to the downtown area (between 1200-1400 Chester Ave & L st). We've lost count on how many times (72) that a train would blare that horn for LONGER than 20 seconds. What happened to the 'toot-toot'? What's with the laying on the horn business? See??? Here it is; 2:13AM in the morning and a train is going by right now with it's horn being laid on. I feel for the lady that lives over on 1400 block of K st. And never mind abt having those officals on the committee that the choose to investigate the problem. Will they come to the area and knock on the doors of people that live along the way and ask: DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH TRAIN HORNS? Think their going to do anything? One person in mind, didn't see anything wrong with the trains horns when the law passed in 05. Does she live next or close to a track or, better yet, do ANY of the members on the committee live close to one?
I doubt it.

No comments: